Contenuto pagina
Turismo.pesarourbino.it
Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino
Sito in fase di aggiornamento a seguito del riordino delle Province (L. 56/14 e L.R. Marche 13/15)

Carpegna

The town sits on the border between the Province of Pesaro, in the Marche, and Tuscany. It is situated in a picturesque valley which rises up from the town (at 748m) to the peak of Monte Carpegna (1415m) from which it takes its name.
During Medieval times, this was the seat of the Counts of Carpegna (a family from which the Counts of Montefeltro, the Malatesta and the Della Faggiola families were also descended) who continued to rule here until 1749. The Palazzo dei Principi, at the very centre of the town, stands witness to this noble past. It was designed by the architect Giovan Antonio De Rossi in 1675 for Cardinal Gaspare di Carpegna. This splendid palace, which is still occupied by descendants of this ancient family, is reached by two ramps. Inside are preserved magnificent rooms, a fine library and a family chapel which is richly decorated with the original furnishings. Among the town's religious buildings are the Church of San Sisto with its fine Romanesque crypt, while two kilometres outside the town we find the Romanesque parish church of San Giovanni (1181) on to which has been built a splendid Renaissance loggia. The Church of San Nicol├▓ (17th Century) became famous for a time in 1970 due to the mysterious phenomenon of its bells which chimed without being rung.
Monte Carpegna (1415m) is a limestone mass which juts out of a strata of clay. Its summit is a long grassy tabletop which ends at the south-east with a steep bare slope and at the other end with two beech woods of varying sizes. At around 1000m we find the Cantoniera Pass, with its meadows, woods, ski slopes and hotel accommodation, which make the area well known for its winter and summer tourism.

Copyright © 2019 Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino - Gestito con Docweb [id] - Privacy Policy