Contenuto pagina
Turismo.pesarourbino.it
Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino
Sito in fase di aggiornamento a seguito del riordino delle Province (L. 56/14 e L.R. Marche 13/15)

Fratte Rosa

Stands half way between the Metauro and Cesano valleys on top of a hill which is surrounded by green cultivated fields and numerous vineyards. It is 42 km from Fano and 54 km from Pesaro and can be reached both from the historic Flaminian Way or from the main road running along the Cesano Valley.
The town dates back to medieval times when it was the principal town of Ravignana, a small state which was governed by the Monastery of Classe in Ravenna (11th-13th Century). The castle was later ruled first by the Malatesta family, then by the Montefeltros and Della Roveres. During this latter period, Fratterosa held an important strategic position on the border of the Duchy of Urbino. Inside the escarpment walls surrounding the town stands the Palazzo Comunale, or town hall. The deep well under its portico dates back to the Malatesta period (14th Century) while inside there is a 16th Century painting of "The Deposition" by Gianfrancesco Ragazzini of Ravenna. The nearby piazza, with its modern fountain, is overlooked by the 19th Century parish church of San Giorgio, built with three naves and a triple facade, with its tall pointed bell tower. The 18th Century church of Santa Maria in Castagneto (built on the site of the original parish church) stands just outside the town wall and contains an interesting late Baroque interior.The convent of Santa Vittoria is particularly worth a visit. This was founded by St Francis in 1216 and both St Charles Borromeo and St Joseph of Copertino stayed here. It stands on the cemetery hill and was entirely rebuilt in the 18th Century. Today it houses a small Pottery Museum in which the traditional pottery which has made this area famous over the years is on display. The town still has various pottery workshops run by families of skilled craftsmen.
Torre S. Marco, a district of Fratterosa, was once dominated by its vast sturdy tower, owned for almost two centuries (1562-1738) by the powerful family of the Counts Bonarelli of Ancona. In the centre of the village is the church of San Marco whose construction began in 1736.

Copyright © 2019 Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino - Gestito con Docweb [id] - Privacy Policy