Contenuto pagina
Turismo.pesarourbino.it
Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino
Sito in fase di aggiornamento a seguito del riordino delle Province (L. 56/14 e L.R. Marche 13/15)

Mombaroccio

Mombaroccio (20 km from Pesaro) is spread along a hill ridge running from south-east to north-west and surrounded by a sturdy escarpment wall which was built to protect the inhabitants of the old town. Its streets are laid out in the shape of a fish bone with one central street on which the main buildings stand.
According to tradition, Mombaroccio dates back to the 13th Century, following the union between five fortified villages which existed in the surrounding area. It was originally ruled over by the Church, then passed to the Pesaro branch of Malatesta family and subsequently to the Sforza and to the Della Rovere families. In 1543 it was given in fief to Marquis Ranieri di Bourbon Del Monte and his successors who remained in possession until 1643, when Mombaroccio returned to the control of the Church. The noble Porta Maggiore (15th century) stands at the gateway to the town, flanked by two round towers. Once inside the walls, and past Palazzo Del Monte, the one-time residence of the Della Rovere family, we reach the 18th Century parish church of Santi Vito e Modesto with interesting paintings from the school of the Urbino painter Barocci. At the centre of the main square, next to the beautiful 15th century civic tower, is the church and convent of San Marco, which houses a museum of sacred art and a museum of countryside traditions.
The church and convent of Beato Sante stands on the top of a hill (393 m) less than 2 km from the town, surrounded by an oak and chestnut wood. This ancient Franciscan hermitage (13th century) was modified during the 16th and 18th Centuries and is an important centre for pilgrims and tourists due to its magnificent collection of works of art which can be seen in the church and in various parts of the convent.

Copyright © 2021 Provincia di Pesaro e Urbino - Gestito con Docweb [id] - Privacy Policy